(Article 185(2),186(1) and 187(2))
DISTRIBUTION OF FUNCTIONS BETWEEN THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT AND THE COUNTY GOVERNMENTS
Part 1 – National Government
1. Foreign affairs, foreign policy and international trade.
2. The use of international waters and water resources.
3. Immigration and citizenship.
4. The relationship between religion and state.
5. Language policy and the promotion of official and local languages.
6. National defence and the use of the national defence services.
7. Police services, including—
(a) the setting of standards of recruitment, training of police and use of police services;
(b) criminal law; and
(c) correctional services.
9. National economic policy and planning.
10. Monetary policy, currency, banking (including central banking), the incorporation and regulation of banking, insurance and financial corporations.
11. National statistics and data on population, the economy and society generally.
12. Intellectual property rights.
13. Labour standards.
14. Consumer protection, including standards for social security and professional pension plans.
15. Education policy, standards, curricula, examinations and the granting of university charters.
16. Universities, tertiary educational institutions and other institutions of research and higher learning and primary schools , special education, secondary schools and special education institutions.
17. Promotion of sports and sports education.
18. Transport and communications, including, in particular--
(a) road traffic;
(b) the construction and operation of national trunk roads;
(c) standards for the construction and maintenance of other roads by counties;
(f) marine navigation;
(g) civil aviation;
(h) space travel;
(i) postal services;
(j) telecommunications; and
(k) radio and television broadcasting.
19. National public works.
20. Housing policy.
21. General principles of land planning and the co-ordination of planning by the counties.
22. Protection of the environment and natural resources with a view to establishing a durable and sustainable system of development, including, in particular--
(a) fishing, hunting and gathering;
(b) protection of animals and wildlife;
(c) water protection, securing sufficient residual water, hydraulic engineering and the safety of dams; and
(d) energy policy.
23. National referral health facilities.
24. Disaster management.
25. Ancient and historical monuments of national importance.
26. National elections.
28. Health policy.
29. Agricultural policy.
30. Veterinary policy.
31. Energy policy including electricity and gas reticulation and energy regulation.
32. Capacity building and technical assistance to the counties.
33. Public investment.
34. National betting, casinos and other forms of gambling.
35. Tourism policy and development.
Back to Fourth Schedule
Back to Schedules
Table of Contents